Sunday, June 19, 2011

What a view!

I just arrived back from spending the night at the local beach and celebrating my birthday.   While I was lying in the hammock and reflecting on life (and enjoying the awesome view), I continue to be amaze at how fortunate and bless I have been through the years, despite some circumstances and trials I been through.  I graciously thank God for the breath he has given me to enjoy and experience life.  Since I been here in Africa, time has slow down significantly.  I am not surrounded by television, shopping malls, amusement parks, movie theaters, cell phones, and very limited internet (can’t watch videos or anything that involves high bandwidth over the internet).  As a result, I have become more in tune with nature and the people around me.  Questions about life and the meaning of life become more evident, since in America we tend to have so many distractions, we tend to have a very superficial view of life and avoid asking uncomfortable questions.  As a result, we do not think about what might happen when we (speaking in general terms) die or the actions we take.  With so many distractions, we do not ask the big questions or question ourselves; in addition, we do not observe the people around us and reflect on everything around us.

Despite all the hours I volunteered so far and providing free dental care to patients, I felt like I have received so much in return.  Being here in Africa has helped me view life differently and value what is most important in life.   I continue to enjoy the dental team I am with, their positive attitude and willingness to pitch in whatever needs to be done, continue to impress me.  I have done hundreds of extractions and continue to enjoy every minute of dentistry. 
From from the hammock

View #2 from the hammock

Enjoying the fire in front of the "hotel"


I thank everyone for the continue support and am ever graceful for everything you have done.

3 comments:

  1. Great reflection and nice photos on the coast. That must have been a cool place to fall asleep at night and wake up to in the morning

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great reflection it is. The pictures are amazing. Such a beautiful way so spend a birthday. I can only imagine what it must've been like to look at a piece of God's beauty. MUAH-Miss you.

    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Questions about life and the meaning of life become more evident, since in America we tend to have so many distractions..."

    In the words of Richard Rohr:
    People do no naturally "see"; we have to be taught how to "see".

    It seems like Africa is teaching you how to see, my brother. Keep on keeping on.
    love you
    jonathan

    ReplyDelete